Clerodendrum (Blue Butterfly) - Knowledgebase Question

Pittsburgh, PA
Question by hess02
Recently, 2 clerodendrum plants (Blue Butterfly) came into my possesion. I would like to have any information that you can offer on how to care for these plants. They are in my house and have either lost or are losing their leaves. Is this to be expected of these plants? They were given to me by a garden center that was going to dispose of them because they hadn't sold during the season one would buy a tropical flowering plant.
Thank you for your help.
Dorothy Hess

0

Lucky you! Clerodendrum ugandense, or Blue Butterfly Bush, grows outdoors in zones 9 and 10 in full to part sun. They grow 6-10' tall and are from Africa so you know they like warm weather. Outdoors they grow into an open, evergreen shrub bearing a profusion of two-tone blue flowers that resemble butterflies. Indoors they will grow only about 3' or 4' tall. Treat as you would any tropical plant. Keep them outdoors in bright shade to morning sun during the spring and summer months then bring inside before freezing weather arrives. Expect them to drop some foliage as they adjust to the lower light levels they will experience indoors. Provide the brightest light possible indoors, water when the top of the soil dries out and pinch or prune the tips of the stems to keep the plants bushy and attractive. Best wishes with your plants!

Today's site banner is by Baja_Costero and is called "Aloe with six-legged friends"