Gloxinia Propagation - Knowledgebase Question

Collinsville, Il
Question by tonyandbob26
Thank you again, for all your help and for Winterizing procedure of Gloxinias.
Now, I need to know the procedure for propagating the Gloxinia leaves....not sure on what to do as I have never had African Violets?
You, guys, are really the Greatest for all the plant help.....better than the Botannical Gardens. Bob

0

I'm happy you find this service so helpful! Leaf cuttings or leaf layering, are the best means of propagating your gloxinia. Leaf layering is done in the same manner as might be done with the large leaves of Rex begonia. The best leaf candidates are the vigorous middle-aged leaves on the plant, not the oldest and not the youngest.

Cut off the leaf, and with a sharp razor blade, cut across the veins of the leaf. Then lay it flat on top of a tray of moistened seed starting mix or builder's sand. Be sure that the cut edges are in contact with the mix or sand and will stay that way.

You might brush a little Rootone, the hormone rooting powder, into the cuts. Cover with clear plastic wrap or glass and place it in a bright location, but not in sunlight.

Keep the mixture or sand moist, but not soggy wet. Watch the cut places to see when the first new little plantlets begin to form and then remove the covering bit by bit.

Pot up the new little plants.

Today's site banner is by Baja_Costero and is called "Aloe with six-legged friends"