Cutting back rose bushes - Knowledgebase Question

Sebring, Fe
Question by gaplants
I just started growing roses and they have done very well.My question is, do you have to cut roses back in the winter in Central Florida> Mine don't even look like they're trying to go dormant. They just bloom and bloom. If I should cut back, when is the best time to do that.

Your roses probably won't go into a dormancy in Florida but it is still important to prune them on an annual basis. January is the time to do this, regardless of whether they still have leaves. Prune them as you would any shrub rose: prune everything down to about knee level then choose the healthiest looking 3-5 canes to save and remove all the rest. When you are finished you should have a vase shape. New stems and foliage will grow within a few weeks and your roses will begin to flower a month or two later. Best wishes with your roses.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Peonies"