pansies - Knowledgebase Question

katy, Te
Question by littlespirit
this is a strange question,but here goes..if I lay a moth ball on the soil by my pansies,will it harm kittens have started digging up my plants outside using it as a litterbox instead of yard..someone told me the kittens wouldn't like the smell of the moth balls and would stay out of them,but I don

Not a strange question at all! Mothballs really aren't a good idea. The smell is bad enough but they will eventually decompose and those chemicals will end up in your soil. A better way to keep your kittens out of the flower bed is to lay rose prunings or other prickly yard clippings on the bare soil. Or - and this is my favorite - drive some stakes around the perimeter of the garden and use fishing line to criss cross the stakes throughout the garden bed. Keep the line 4-5 inches off the top of the soil and cross the lines every 6 inches or so. Animals are afraid they will get their legs caught so they generally avoid the area. Since cats are creatures of habit if you put this temporary deterrent in your garden they will learn to avoid the area and will stay out indefinitely. It worked for me and I hope it works for you, as well.

Today's site banner is by dirtdorphins and is called "prickly pads"