Hostas in Austin, TX - Knowledgebase Question

Austin, Te
Question by dampierskip
I moved to Austin from Illinois where I had an amazing shade garden featuring several hosta varieties. I've had trouble getting hostas to grow as hardy in Austin-- what do I need to do different here than I did there?

0

Hostas don't really like to grow in the Austin climate but with a little coaxing, and choosing the right varieties, you should have some success. They really need shade (I'm sure you knew that) and they prefer acidic soils - something Austin cannot provide. So, amending the planting bed with copious amounts of peat moss will not only help the soil remain moist but will also acidify it. Failing that, you can grow them in pots with potting soil and you may have better luck. The following varieties have been recommended for your growing region: Blue Angel, Gold Standard,
Lancifolia, Invincible, Fried Green Tomatoes, Sun Power, Sagae, Grand Tiara, and
Guacamole. Hope these grow well for you.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Orchid Cactus "