Venus Fly Traps - Knowledgebase Question

Branson, Mi
Question by mamaniman
Please tell me what you know about Venus fly traps. How do you feed them? Where do you think I could find them in this season? How long do they stay alive?

Here are some general care guidelines for your Venus Fly Trap: Give bright light (full sun is okay), peaty growing medium and temperatures between 70F and 95F degrees. Venus Fly Traps need a winter dormancy period to rest and rejuvenate. The leaves will die back, leaving only a bulb and root system in the soil. Many people think the plant is dead and toss it out, but it's really just resting. During this 3 month resting period, seal the plant (pot and all) in a plastic bag and place it in the refrigerator. At the end of three months, remove from the cold, take the pot out of the plastic bag and set it in bright light. Begin watering again when new shoots appear. It's natural for the leaves of the Venus Fly Trap to die after they've opened and closed a few times. Cut the dead leaves off the plant and new leaves will appear. For additional information on growing carnivorous plants, visit the following website:

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Dan Bachman 2006 seedlings"