watering new planting - Knowledgebase Question

boynton beach, Fl
Question by flowmotion
I live in so. fl. I just planted two alamanda,s and four helaconia< behind my park bench to create a park feel,I want to know how often in this heat they should be watered,so not to drown and still keep them hydrated,we used manuer,osmocote,and top soil,thank you for your help,will be waiting for your advice,I am new at planting

It's really difficult to advise you from this long distance! We would all prefer an exact formula for watering plants, but unfortunately, that's not the best way for the long-term health of your plants. There are numerous variables involved, such as type of soil, how fast or slow it drains, sun and wind exposure at your site, temperature, age and condition of the plants and much more. It's important to learn the specific needs of your landscape, both for its health and your water bill. Use the information below to determine how moist the soil is before automatically applying more water. Use a soil probe (any long, pointed piece of metal or wood to poke into the soil) to check how far water has penetrated. The probe moves easily through moist soil, but stops when it hits hard dry soil. The following depths are a guideline for how deep water should reach: Shrubs 2-3 feet Vegetables, flowers, herbs 1 - 1 1/2 feet Succulents 1-2 inches The following frequencies are guidelines only for the summer months when temperatures are in the 90s and winds are drying. Shrubs, 1st year* once a week Shrubs, 2 years every 10 days Shrubs, 3+ years every 2 weeks Vegetables, flowers every 3-4 days Herbs once a week Succulents twice a month *One-gallon size or newly transplanted shrubs may need twice a week, every other day or every day. It's important to water slowly, deeply, and infrequently so that salts in the water don't accumulate around the roots of the plants and water seeps out to where the new roots are growing. I suggest that you set your timer from 1-3 hours--you'll need to check how deep the water penetrates for an accurate setting. I hope this information helps you. Good luck!

Today's site banner is by wildflowers and is called "Japanese Spirea"