overwintering plants - Knowledgebase Question

Gallatin, Te
Question by cbtomk
I have several large contaniners around my pool area. Some of the plants I have are cannas,ornamental grasses and some other perennials. I have a basement. My question is can I put them in the basement for the winter and what do I need to do to prepare them for winter. thanks!

0

Whether or not you can store your perennials in a dormant state over the winter months really depends upon the plants themselves. Cannas will go dormant and can be stored that way. Some ornamental grasses will go dormant, as well, but not all are frost tender so those that are hardy can remain outdoors. There's no blanket answr for "other perennials". If you'd like to try overwintering them in your basement, whether actively growing or in a dormant state, I'm afraid experience will be your best guide. Good luck with your project!

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Crocosmia 'Lucifer'"