keeping other garden weeds away - Knowledgebase Question

Astoria, Ne
Question by tcherniawsky
Hi, I have a small garden that I'm trying to revive and bring back to full bloom, I realize it will take a couple of seasons for this, but how do I mange to keep weeds from other peoples gardens from infiltrating my garden. I keep cutting, but they grow faster then I can keep up with it. Help!

I'm sure it's frustrating to have weeds encroaching on your garden! The best way to keep them at bay is to suffocate them with several layers of newspaper (or cardboard) covered over with several inches of organic matter such as compost. At the beginning of spring you can dig this into the soil to help enrich your soil, plant your plants and then cover over the bare soil with more organic matter (and newspaper, if you'd like). This will keep new weed seeds from sprouting. Best wishes with your reclamation project!

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Iris Dazzling"