wintering containers - Knowledgebase Question

Gallatin, Te
Question by cbtomk
Thank you for answering my question. I have elephant ears,purple fountain grass and caladiums in containers. I am going to put them in my basement for the winter. Should I cut these plants back if so how much. Thanks again!

Glad you provided more information! Both the elephant ears and the caladiums will die down when they experience a frost. At that time you can either dig the tubers and store them in your basement, or you can simply cut off the dead tops and store the pots, tubers and all, in your basement. They won't need to be watered while you are storing them. The fountain grass is also frost tender and should be stored in the same way - in a dormant state in your basement. They should spring to life in the early spring. Enjoy!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Lantana"