Aerate/Dethatch - Knowledgebase Question

Lancaster, Ca
Question by pnielsen54
I have dethatched my lawns in the past, but not aerate. My front lawn the soil is conpacted, very hard. Should I do one or the other, or both and when is a new good time to do this and should you fertilize before or after I live in the high desert, Antelope Valley area. Also which is more beneficial to your lawn?

Thank you

0

Although dethatching is important, aerating your lawn will help with the compacted soil. A core aerator will remove one inch by three inch plugs from the lawn. Leave the plugs on the lawn and they will dissolve in rain or water from the sprinklers. After aerating spread a thin layer of sand or compost over the area and water it in well. The sand or compost plus the soil from the plugs will work their way down into the holes left by the plugs. You can then overseed your entire lawn. I'd aerate and then fertilize. Your lawn will grow healthier and happier once the compaction is alleviated. Enjoy your lawn!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Orchid Cactus "