Vegetable Garden Disease - Knowledgebase Question

Garner, No
Question by ckurtz8
I am getting so frusterated. Every vegetable growing season I plant my plants, seeds, etc. They grow and appear healthy until the first blooms and fruit appears. The stalks, starting at the ground level beginning turning brown and continue up the stalk until the entire stalk is dead. I fertilize sparingly and maintain adequit moisture. I use Sevin dust sparingly. I have sandy loam topsoil. Please.

0

Disease pathogens can winter over in garden soil and be ready to attack plants the following year so we always recommend you rotate your crops from year to year. If you are having the same problems with the same plants year after year you may need to give your garden a rest for a year. Squash can develop fungal diseases, as can tomatoes and just about every other vegetable. The most likely problem with your squash plants are squash vine weevils. Inspect the vines for damage near the stem as it emerges from the ground. That's the favorite place for attack. You might see sawdust looking material on the soil surface and/or oozing fluids from the vines. If you find these symptoms, the culprits are squash vine borers. Again, rotate your crops so the pests cannot easily find them. After a year, when you replant your squash, allow them to grow until they begin to develop flowers. At that time wrap aluminum foil around the stems where they emerge from the ground to keep the vine borers from boring into the vines. Hope this helps!

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Crocosmia 'Lucifer'"