Dwarf Lilac Tree - Knowledgebase Question

Littleton, Co
Question by hart611
I brought my dwarf Lilac in doors for the winter.Now all the leaves R falling off. Will it be alright?

0

I suspect the leaves are falling off because of the temperature difference between outdoors and indoors and the lower light levels indoors. Lilac is deciduous, so you should expect it to lose its leaves in fall. The branches will remain bare throughout the winter months, but new leaves will grow in the spring. For this reason, it makes a better outdoor plant than an indoor plant. Your lilac is hardy enough to live outdoors all year around but the roots will be susceptible to winter damage if you keep it in a container rather than planting it in the ground. I'd take the shrub back outdoors and either set it next to the foundation of your house where it will be somewhat protected from the elements. If possible, dig a hole and sink the pot into the earth to further insulate it. Best wishes with your lilac!

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Alteri Lily"