Poinsettia - Knowledgebase Question

Port St. Lucie, Fl
Question by alcaracu2
I have a potted poinsettia plant outside which was looking great, and now it is loosing its leaves and the leaves are yellow. Not sure what I did wrong, since I have had the plant for two years and last year it re-bloomed with no special care. so I would like to save the plant. thanks in advance - also since the leaves were so healthy, i did not prune the plant.

0

I think it's normal for the oldest leaves to yellow and die on your poinsettia. To keep it bushy and full of new growth it should be pruned back in January and then pinched periodically during the spring and summer months. The new growth will then mature and turn red in November. I don't know if your plant will have time to develop new leaves and to turn color prior to the holidays this year but they should certainly do so next year if you prune your poinsettia back. I'd go ahead and pinch or prune the stems back now to encourage healthy new leaves. Enjoy!

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Alteri Lily"