Need advise on pruning fruit trees - Knowledgebase Question

Pleasant Hill, Ca
Question by frsosa1958
I need help on pruning fruit trees. I have peach, plum and apple. I also have citrus, but I heard you don't prune them. Anyway the others are at least 4 years old and have never been pruned. The plum already had some branches break.
Please help.

What you've heard about citrus trees is correct - they rarely need pruning. However, if you need to keep yours smaller than the trees want to grow, you can certainly prune them back. I prune mine after I harvest the fruit.

Your other fruit trees should be pruned and trained to optimize fruit production. Explaining the process is more extensive than space allows in this forum so I'll direct you to a publication from UC Davis cooperative extension that will walk you through the process. It has written directions plus some line drawings. Hope you find this information helpful:

Today's site banner is by wildflowers and is called "Japanese Spirea"