Winter cover for my hydrangea - Knowledgebase Question

Southington, Co
Question by vernadm
I have 1st yr hydrangea that are good size & have blossemed beautifully this year. So this is my first winter caring for the plants. What recommendations do you have for protecting them during the winter? I live in CT. Do I need to protect them with burlap? Any help is greatly are appreciated!!! Thank you.

The real prep for winter begins the first summer. Make sure the shrubs get enough water this summer, but take care not to overwater. Continue to water as needed until the ground freezes. Cover your shrubs with wooden teepees to protect them from wind and from crushing snow load. You can drape burlap over the wooden slat teepees to provide an additional layer of protection. Be sure your hydrangea is not exposed to runoff from salted sidewalks or driveways (use kitty litter instead of sodium-based deicing products). When your hydrangea finishes blooming next year, cut the stems that flowered back to next laterals (set of stems) to keep the shrub bushy and dense and full of new flowers. Enjoy!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Peonies"