Squirrels - Knowledgebase Question

Roxbury, Ma
Question by lcoleman5360
How do I keep squirrels from digging up my newly planted spring bulbs? Thank you.

0

Squirrels consider tulip bulbs to be the equivalent of candy. There are several things you can try, but if there are a lot of squirrels where you live it may be better to plant daffodils instead. You can try: dipping them in a mole and rodent repellent just prior to planting, applying a repellent spray to the mulch over the planting area using either a commercial spray or a home made garlic and/or pepper based concoction, watering the area repeatedly immediately after planting to settle the soil well, covering the area with wire mesh or old window screens to cage them out, or burying the bulbs encased in cages made of wire mesh. Finally, a pet dog or cat on patrol can also help discourage squirrels from spending too much time in your yard

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Tithonia diversifolia"