Lawn weeds - Knowledgebase Question

Grand Blanc, Mi
Question by judithcsimon
Our front sloped lawn has many weeds incl. thistles but little grass. I applied Scotts turf builder w/Plus 2 weed control in Aug. but saw no difference. Should I put on some sort of weed killer and then reseed? Should I put another Turfbuilder product on? Thanks

A sloped area will be difficult to maintain a decent lawn because of drainage issues - water will run off before it has a chance to soak down deeply enough to encourage deep root growth. I'd dig out the perennial weeds or use a broadleaf weed killer to get rid of them. Next spring overseed the lawn and once the grass is up and growing well you can apply a pre-emergent weed killer to keep weed seeds from germinating. Next fall apply a winterizer fertilizer which will strengthen the stems and roots of your lawn; the following spring apply a pre-emergent again. In about 2 years you should have a thick turf (which should help crowd out new weeds). Best wishes with your lawn!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Lantana"