pearl bugs - Knowledgebase Question

Wilmington, No
Question by harperbs
we have an almost bare patch where we had put down sod just a year ago. It appears to have spread from our neighbors yard and she is telling us that it is from something called pearl bugs. I have not been able to find anything by that name. Please help.

0

I'm not familiar with the term pearl bugs but if your sod is dying, the damage might be caused by grubs. Sampling for grubs is a good first step in determining the cause of your lawn problem. You can cut a square foot of turf out, pull it up and look on the soil surface and on the roots for fat, white grubs; less than six grubs per square foot can usually be masked by water and fertilizers. Populations between 10 and 15 per square foot can cause significant turf damage in September and October. Of course, populations occasionally reach 40 to 60 grubs per square foot and these levels can cause significant damage. If you find grubs you can treat your lawn with a product like Grubex or Bayer Advanced Season-Long Grub Control granules, applied according to label directions. If you don't find grubs, you can simply rake out the bare spots, sprinkle some compost over the areas and reseed. Grass seed should germinate in 7-14 days.

Today's site banner is by plantmanager and is called "Spinystar (Escobaria vivipara)"