violets - Knowledgebase Question

cary, No
Question by tommyseibert
I have violets growing in my lawn. what would be a safe way to get rid of them without killing my grass.

Controlling wild violets in a lawn or landscape can be a difficult challenge. They grow from bulbous roots and unless you dig out the roots you will continue to have problems with them, even if you use an herbicide. There are no herbicides available that will kill the violets and not harm the lawn so digging is the best approach. If you decide to use an herbicide, Violets should be targeted for control in fall as they are preparing to go into winter. Plants take in herbicides most readily during this time. Read the product labels carefully, making sure that violets are listed on the label, before buying any herbicide product. The waxy coating on violet leaves causes liquid herbicides to quickly run off the leaf after application, with little chemical being taken in by the plant. For this reason, herbicide applications targeted at violets should include a spreader-sticker. This product helps the chemical ?stick? on the weed leaves better, resulting in better herbicide absorption and thus giving better control. Best wishes with your landscape.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Lantana"