geraniums - Knowledgebase Question

yankton, So
Question by amwubben
I have small, medium and large geraniums. How can I over winter them?

There are a number of ways to overwinter geraniums and they all seem to work well. Taking the plants indoors is the easiest; taking cuttings to root in water or potting soil is next easiest. If you'd like to try a new approach in overwintering yours, dig from the ground before frost hits. Then shake all of the soil from the roots, put a paper bag over the entire plant and store upside down (roots up, stems down) in a cool, dry place (in a box in an unheated garage or crawl space is great). In late March, plant the geranium in potting soil in a container big enough to accomodate the roots. Water thoroughly and place in a cool (40-45F) location that receives bright yet indirect light. As the stems sprout leaves, move into direct sun and apply an all purpose fertilizer such as Miracle Gro carefully following application instructions. Remove any dead stems before setting outside. After a year or two, your geraniums will become woody and produce fewer blooms - at that point, you can start new plants from cuttings.

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Dan Bachman 2006 seedlings"