Majesty Palm - Knowledgebase Question

Drexel Hill, Pe
Question by sativadw
I brought a few of these palms from Home Depot and now that I've brought them in for the winter, I've notices a few nats flying around. Is there anything I can spray on the plant to stop them? One individual in the garden department suggested Sevin, is this ok?

Sevin is a pretty powerful insecticide and since the palms are now indoors (where Sevin should not be used), I'd steer clear of the product. It sounds like a fungus gnat infestation. These little flying insects look a lot like fruit flies. They live in moist soil and breed at the soil surface. The best way to control them is to allow the top layer of the soil to dry completely between waterings. If the plants need a moister soil and thus more frequent watering, you could put a layer of sand or decorative rock on top of the soil -- either one of these will dry out faster than the soil. This should stop the breeding. Or, you could cover the tops of the pots with plastic wrap or aluminum foil to exclude the pests. Be sure to cover all of the soil surfaces in all of your houseplants. After about 2 weeks you can remove the plastic barrier. If it's any comfort, the adults don't live very long. In the meantime, yellow sticky traps will also help to control the adults.

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Iris Dazzling"