planting veggies for fall - Knowledgebase Question

MEMPHIS, Te
Question by ruthhurt
Hi. When and how do I plant spinach seeds? I have a raised bed and just put 6 cu ft of miracle gro garden soil in it. (8x3ftx4in)

0

Spinach prefers to grow in the cooler months of the year. You can plant your seeds now, or plant them in the early spring. The best technique for planting spinach seed is to simply sprinkle them on the soil and lightly scratch them into the surface with a rake. The spinach will come up within a week if kept moist. They will then need to be thinned. This is difficult for most gardeners to do but it is absolutely necessary. Tightly spaced plants don't produce good quality spinach and don't produce as much as thinned plants. Spinach seedlings are also easy to transplant, so if you want, you can do some of your thinning by spreading the seedlings around. Spinach plants should be 4 to 6 inches apart.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Orchid Cactus "