Mexican Milkweed - Knowledgebase Question

Jacksonville, Fl
Question by judybk
I received info that Mexican milkweek contains protozoan parasite that infects the Monark caterpillars.My caterpillars died (26) and now large garden and no butterfly. It said to use Rose Milkweed instead.
Ture or False

I think your information is false. Among the milkweed species commonly offered to the home gardener are butterfly weed (Asclepias tuberosa), swamp milkweed (Asclepias incarnata), and tropical milkweed (Asclepias curassavica). Each of these species are worthy of planting in the garden and all entice butterflies to visit.

According to the Monarch Watch organization, Asclepias curassavica, commonly called Tropical Milkweed, Mexican Milkweed, or Bloodflower, are the best species for the maintenance of monarch butterfly culturesa. This species is broadly distributed in the neotropics and has been introduced into many areas in the Old World tropics as well. Seeds are easy to germinate; seedlings transplant readily and mature plants will flower continuously. This species can also be grown from cuttings. When used to culture monarchs, defoliated plants can be cut back, leaving a 4-6 inch stem. These plants produce new shoots and can be repeatedly cut back and used for several years. If you'd like to read more, visit the following webpage:

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Dan Bachman 2006 seedlings"