Eliminating Lespedeza - Knowledgebase Question

Grifffin, Ge
Question by spnlsn
I have a weed called lespedeza that is taking over my lawn. My lawn consists of 70% bermuda/30% fescue. I live 20 miles south of Atlanta, GA. What should I do this fall and this coming spring and summer?

0

Lespedeza is a dark green, wiry summer annual with trifoliate leaves. Several wide-spreading prostrate branches come from the slender taproot. It grows close to the ground and seldom is cut by a mower. It is a very common summer weed, choking out thin turf. Hairs grow downward on the stem. Leaves are composed of three leaflets. Stipules are light to reddish brown. Small single flowers arise from the leaf axils on most of the nodes of the main stems and are pink or purple.

A three-way herbicide can be used on bermudagrass, zoysiagrass, centipedegrass, St. Augustinegrass and tall fescue. The active ingredients of a three-way herbicide often include the broadleaf weed killers: 2,4-D, dicamba, and MCPP. Examples of three-way herbicides are Ferti-lome Weed Out Lawn Weed Killer with Trimec?, Bayer Advanced Southern Weed Killer for Lawns, and Spectracide Weed Stop Weed Killer for Lawns. You can apply in the fall and repeat applications may be required in the spring, depending upon the product you select. Be sure to follow the label directions for application and repeat applications to get good control of the pesky weed.

Today's site banner is by plantmanager and is called "Spinystar (Escobaria vivipara)"