when to prune sand cherry tree - Knowledgebase Question

Payson, Ar
Question by jkarhu
I have a small sand cherry tree in its second year of growth. When and how should I trim it.

0

The late dormant season is best for most pruning. Pruning in late winter, just before spring growth starts, leaves fresh wounds exposed for only a short length of time before new growth begins the wound sealing process. Another advantage of dormant pruning is that it?s easier to make pruning decisions without leaves obscuring plant branch structure. Pruning at the proper time can help you avoid certain disease and physiological problems. Since your sand cherry is small, you can shorten the branches to encourage new stems and branches for a fuller look if you want it to remain a shrub, or you can completely remove the lowest branches to train it into a tree shape. Whichever route you take you can still shorten the branches to encourage sturdier limbs as the tree matures.

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Autumn Colour"