scottish and irish moss - Knowledgebase Question

tacoma, Wa
Question by schmezles
Many years ago I planted irish/scottish moss underneath a dogwood. Worst thing I've ever done...after all these yrs it is still all over my yard here and there. It is around sensitive plants in places. Is there anything I can spray on it to kill it without hurting surrounding plants? and the lawn? thank you

There's nothing registered for use against irish moss that won't harm your existing perennials. Since it is a broadleaf plant the chemical 2,3-D (found in dandelion killer) can be used but you'll want to spot spray the irish moss and carefully protect your desired plant or they may be adversely affected. Hand digging, roots and all, is the more permanent solution so around your sensitive plants that might be the best course of action.

Today's site banner is by wildflowers and is called "Japanese Spirea"