Majesty Palm Tree - Knowledgebase Question

Drexel Hill, Pe
Question by sativadw
I brought 2 from Home Depot and from all I read, the tips turning brown mean not enough water. How much exactly do I have to water to keep the tips green. I use a plant food, and water when the dirt looks dry on top. They are in a 12 inch pot and are 6' tall.

Browning leaf tips can indicate overwatering, but they might also be caused by dry air or even chemicals such as fluoride or chlorine in the water. And to complicate matters, overfertilization or a build up of salts in the potting soil can cause tip browning, too. So here are few suggestions: when you water, water thoroughly so excess water freely drains out of the drainage holes. Not only will this ensure all of the potting soil is saturated, it will also help leach out excess salts. Allow the top half inch of soil to dry out before watering again. Use filtered or bottled water if your tap water has chlorine or fluoride. When you feed your plant, use a half strength dilution of water soluable fertilizer and feed every 4 weeks during the spring and summer months, every 6 weeks during the fall and winter when growth is slow. You can try misting your palms to increase humidity. Hope this information is helpful!

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Dan Bachman 2006 seedlings"