New garden - Knowledgebase Question

Miramar, Fl
Question by jdamonte
Hello:
I recently move to a new house and the garden is in dire need of tlc. I started by removing the weeds and have some plants left that I think could work.
I really would like to have a herb garden because I love to cook with fresh herbs and with my daughter we have decided to start a vegetable garden. What, how, and when should I start?

0

Sounds like you're off to a good start! You can enrich your soil over a period of years and end up with rich garden loam if you add organic matter. Start now by removing all vegetation from the area and spreading 4-5 inches of organic matter over the bed. You can use compost, aged manure, shredded leaves or whatever organic matter is readily available in your locale. Dig or till this organic matter into the soil - 8-10 inches deep. Plant your herbs, veggies or flowers and mulch over the bare soil between the plants with additional organic matter. A 2-3 inch layer will help suppress weeds and slow water evaporation. At the end of the season dig the organic matter into the soil and add a fresh layer. Repeat this process annually and you'll end up with rich garden loam - and a spectacular garden. Hope you have a bountiful harvest!

Today's site banner is by Baja_Costero and is called "Aloe with six-legged friends"