Trumpet Vine Won't Bloom - Knowledgebase Question

Greensburg, PA
Question by fdhayes
I have a trumpet vine which is about five years old. It still hasn't bloomed. Is this normal? Or do I need to do something to encourage it to bloom? It looks healthy. It just doesn't bloom.

0

Trumpet vines (Campsis radicans) do best in full sun and are not too picky about soil and usually bloom at an early age. They do, however, bloom on new wood. This means that any pruning should be done in late winter or very early spring only. In fact, many gardeners prune this vine back very hard (to just a few buds) annually in late winter to both keep it in bounds and also encourage lots of new growth for maximum bloom each season. Good luck with it next summer!