strange stems in flowers - Knowledgebase Question

brooklyn, Ne
Question by Sbhansolo
I live in Brooklyn NY and have adopted the gardens surrounding my bldg. at my my expense so I wondered why some of my flowering plants come up with a s shaped stalks and deformed flowers?

What you describe sounds like bud proliferation and it is usually caused by insect feeding - usually thrips but it could be from other garden insects. They damage the tissues when they feed and the plant responds by producing more growth hormones and developing flat, curly stems rather than the normal round stems that are upright. Once you notice the problem it's too late to do anything about it other than to prune off the affected plant parts. Thrips are difficult to see and therefore to control. Glad you've adopted the gardens. I hope your project brings you much joy!

Today's site banner is by dirtdorphins and is called "prickly pads"