Burlap - Knowledgebase Question

Twinsburg, Oh
Question by jlardell
I planted Arborvities last fall. They are trying to grow, but not as tall as i would like. I did not protect them from the last snow fall. I like to protect them from this year snow. Do I protect them with Burlap? Where can I purchase this? What do I need to do to protect them? Do I add fresh soil and mulch too?

Thank you.

0

Burlap is usually sold in sheets at garden centers, quite often neatly folded in the section where you find blue tarps. If not, you can use any material as a windbreak for your arborvitaes. I recommend burlap because it is loosely woven so it allows some air through but still blocks icy winds. On the windward side drive 2-3 stakes into the ground near the plant and attach burlap or other cloth material (even spun row cover fabric that you find in the garden center) to the stakes. The windbreak can be a foot or two away from the plant. The idea is not to surround the plant but to buffer the winter winds. You can add fresh mulch around the bases of your plants this fall to further protect the roots from the freeze/thaw cycle that comes with winter and spring weather. Hope this answers all your questions.

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Crocosmia 'Lucifer'"