chrysanthemums - Knowledgebase Question

yardville, Ne
Question by marionrum32
I have many chrysanthemums in my garden and they all bloom beautifully each year. However, there is one that leafs out fully, is covered with buds, but for the past 3 years, the flowers never open. What am I doing or not doing wrong??

0

You may not be doing anything wrong. Fungus can turn chrysanthemum buds brown, but so can insect feeding and cultural problems. There's a little worm that attacks unopened buds and hollows them out, which causes browning. To check, pinch off a few of the buds before they turn brown and open them up. If you find a little worm inside, he/she is the reason for the failure to flower. A fungal disease can attack the buds, turning them brown. Carefully inspect the brown buds. If you find black dots (spores) then I'd say a fungal disease got to them. If you find the buds are empty, an insect is to blame. But if the buds look brown with no fungal spores and no evidence of chewing, I'd guess the problem is cultural. In any event, you can clip off the affected portions of the plants and new flowering stems will appear. To avoid the spread of fungal diseases make sure your plants have plenty of room to grow and lots of room for air circulation all around them. If you've massed your plants so that they're intertwined, they will be more susceptible to disease. Prune the stems back so that there's good air circulation all around and you'll go a long way in helping prevent the spread of disease. Good luck with your mums.

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Alteri Lily"