fruit trees - Knowledgebase Question

Question by barbmurp
I would like to plant fruit trees on land in Lowndes County that was a pasture at one time. The soil is black clay. How should I prepare the soil? Should I till the entire area where trees will be planted or would mixing soil in each hole be enough? I purchase soil from a local feed and seed store(the same soil used by a local plant nursery. What about manure? Would that help the soil?

Any organic matter - compost, aged manure, peat moss, etc. - will help loosen clay soil. I would rototill the entire area after spreading 3-4 inches of organic matter over the top. Till it in at least 18" so the roots of your new trees get off to a good start. Once the roots establish they should be able to penetrate the native soil. Best wishes with your new trees!

Today's site banner is by TBGDN and is called "Irises 2017"