dogwood/pink/blackspots - Knowledgebase Question

Name: Lynne Schwartz
savannah, Ge
Question by lynne138
I bought a pink dogwood at Home Depot. Some oif the leaves have black spots. Will this spread to other dogwoods that are nearby? I cannot pick off all the leaves because most of them have black spots although they are nice and green. What can I do? What causes this problem? I live in zone 8B.

I can't really diagnose the problem without seeing it, but dogwoods are susceptible to a disease called anthracnose. You might want to take some of the affected leaves to your local cooperative extension office, Master Gardener Clinic, or well staffed nursery for help in diagnosis. If the problem is anthracnose, fungicides can be applied in the spring, starting at bud break and continuing every 10-14 days until the leaves are fully expanded. Further sprays may be necessary if the summer is unusually wet. Be sure to rake and remove fallen leaves from the garden. Best wishes with your dogwood.

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Iris Dazzling"