Humming Bird Plant - Knowledgebase Question

Name: Louis Borsellino
Belford, NJ
Question by loujo345
Have a plant that attracts humming birds. Love it. Problem is I would like to plant more of these plants but have no idea what the name is. I am located in New Jersey and the plant is a perennial. The plant as best as I can describe is sort of a bush type that grows to about three feet high. The leaves that grow from the stems are many single protrusion, green in color, pear shaped to a point, and have a minty smell when rubbed. The plant's flower is mostly white and trimmed in red. Although it looks nothing like a bleed heart plant flower it is what I am reminded of when I view the plant in flower. Thank you in advance.

I can't tell from your description but it could be Elsholtzia stauntonii. The leaves have a minty smell and the flowers are attractive to hummingbirds. For positive identification take a flowering stem with leaves and open flowers to your local cooperative extension office, Master Gardener Clinic, or well staffed nursery. Helpful folks there will be able to identify it by its flowers. Best wishes with your search!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Lantana"