Perennial - Knowledgebase Question

Smith River, Ca
Question by taysabo
Can all perennials be split? I bought a plant 3-4 yrs ago, it is my favorite. I don't know its name but haven't seen it anywhere again. I have it in a container. Foliage is silvery green approx 8-12 inches and flower spike up at about 15 inches. The flowers are an apricot color and the whole plant smells like lemons. It now fills the pot so I wonder if it is safe to divide, I don't want to kill it

0

Most perennials can be divided. Exceptions are those that develop a single stem (such as lavender). I'd unpot the plant and look at the root system. If you can divide the plant in a way that includes both roots and a green stem with each division, you'll be successful. If it isn't possible to divide in this way you may want to repot your plant into a larger container and then take some tip cuttings to root in water or in moistened potting soil. Spring or early summer is the best time to take tip cuttings but you can try a few now just to see what happens. Hope you find out what your plant is!

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Crocosmia 'Lucifer'"