prepare rose bushes for winter - Knowledgebase Question

Carson City, Ne
Question by kberes
What do I need to do to get the rose bushes ready for winter. This is my first experiance with rose bushes. The bushes have not been cared for for many months and old buds have not been removed

0

This time of year it's a good idea to leave the flowers alone so they can develop into rose hips. This process slows growth and signals your rose bush to go into dormancy. At this point you won't need to do any pruning. Wait until the plants have gone through a heavy frost and are dormant. At that time you can prune back any overly long stems or branches that might whip around it winter winds. In the spring, when new growth begins, you can prune your roses back. If you've never pruned before, here are some tips: Choose 3-5 of the healthiest looking canes to save and prune the rest all the way down. The oldest, grayest canes are the ones you want to remove. Once you've done that, prune everything down to about knee level. New growth will emerge from the canes and should reward all your hard work with beautiful flowers. Enjoy!

Today's site banner is by krobra and is called "Lantana Dew Drops"