Planter Box-Fall - Knowledgebase Question

Cayucos, Ca
Question by jnunes
I am a beginner and want to plant a planter box in front of my house. I live on the Central Coast across from the ocean, and was just wondering what kind of plants or flowers can I plant during this time of year.
Joleen Nunes

There are lots of plants you can grow in your planter box. Here are a few that grow well in coastal situations:
Verbena bonariensis - Tall and slender, this perennial sways in the wind and delivers a lovely blue haze of flowers through much of summer. It also self sows in the garden without being a pest.

Geranium 'Rozanne' - Colorful and long-flowering in mild weather along the coast.
Purple fountain grass (Pennisetum setaceum 'Rubrum')
Growing 5 feet tall and wide, its soft, feathery flower heads sway in the slightest breeze.

Salvia uliginosa - This 5-foot tall, 4-foot wide perennial produces its sky-blue flowers from summer through fall with little care. Spreads by rhizomes.

Crocosmia 'Emily McKenzie' - Has grassy leaves and elegant orange flowers with a red eye. Multiplies and spreads from corms with little care beyond occasional weeding.

Canna 'Tropicanna' - Bright orange flower and big, purplish, banana-like leaves links seaside gardens with the tropics. Just don't plant it where wind will shred the leaves.

Pride of Madeira (Echium candicans) - Actually from Madeira, this plant produces wonderful spikes of blue-purple flowers along the coast in poor soil and with practically no extra water. Bees love it.

Enjoy your new planter box!

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Dan Bachman 2006 seedlings"