How to get grape vines, and a fig tree indoors through the winter. (Fig tree leaves turning yellow) - Knowledgebase Question

S.I., Ne
Question by betsywilson1
I have two tubs and in each one is a blueberry vine, fig tree, and a grape vine. I don't have enough depth in the garden to plant the above so they are in tubs. Need to come inside. How do I do that and keep them alive? Fig tree in original pot inside now and leaves are turning yellow. Tks very much, Betsy Wilson

Both the fig tree and the grape vine will go dormant over the winter months. It's the nature of the plants and you cannot make them keep their foliage, even by moving them indoors. They naturally rest from fall through winter and then grow new leaves in the spring. They won't do well indoors. After the leaves fall from the plants you can set the tubs in an unheated garage, or dig and bury them in the soil next to your house, or you can wrap them with burlap to insulate them against the winter weather. Your blueberry vine, Ampelopsis brevipedunculata, is winter hardy and will die down in the winter months but sprout up in the springtime. It will be fine in the tub all winter long. The bottom line is that none of the plants are suitable for growing indoors. They all need to rest over the winter months. If possible, move the tubs into an unheated garage or basement for storage until spring. Best wishes with your plants.

Today's site banner is by TBGDN and is called "Irises 2017"