K9 Pee is killing grass - Knowledgebase Question

fairfield, Ca
Question by kenhorn
Help, is there any way to prevent my grass from dying where my dog decides to relieve himself? It seems to die in spots and will only come back after I remove the affected dead grass and soil, then put in new grass or seeds! Help!

0

There are no easy answers! The best way to help prevent urine burns and dead spots is to saturate the spots with water. This will allow the excess nitrogen to leach or dilute through the lawn, reducing the concentration in one area. It is usually best to treat the areas as soon as possible after the fact, but up to 9 hours after urination and to apply at least three-time the amount of water to urine to the area. As you know, dead spots can either be over-seeded or totally replaced with new seed or sod. If you have a warm-season grass, it will generally repair itself over time through the spreading of stolons and rhizomes over the effected area. The most urine-resistant grasses tend to be Perennial Ryegrasses and Fescues. The worst urine-resistant grasses tend to be Kentucky Bluegrass and Bermuda. You may want to consider re-planting with one of the more urine-resistant grasses. A final suggestion is to train your dog to urinate in certain areas. If you have the time and location of your yard to designate as a urinating spot, you can simply use an alterative ground covering on that spot. Hope this helps!

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Alteri Lily"