outdoor plants and inside for winter - Knowledgebase Question

S.I., Ne
Question by betsywilson1
Thanks for your help. My neighbor said the plants' roots will freeze outdoors in tubs. She said they need to be in the ground or indoors. Hence the questions. I just moved here to my first house so there is no garage. There is no place to plant them in my garden I only have 3

That's a real quandry! You could group the tubs together and dump organic mulch over and around the tubs to help insulate them from the cold, or wrap them in insulating material (sold in sheets or rolls in the garden center). Or, try some bubble wrap or even old blankets. Although it won't look very nice, you might be able to construct a temporary box out of rigid styrofoam which is sold in the hardware department and is used for wall insulation. It's about an inch thick and comes in 4' by 8' sheets. You can cut it to make a box which you can tape together. Set your tubs inside and then dump compost or other organic matter around the pots to further insulate them against the cold. Wish I had more solutions for you!

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Dan Bachman 2006 seedlings"