HOW TO - Knowledgebase Question

San Antonio, Te
Question by jennaguilar3
I JUST RECENTLY BOUGHT LEMON TREE CITRUS MEYERI MEYER.. AND I WANTED TO KNOW HOW TO PLANT IT OR IF I SHOULD PLANT IT.. I ALSO WANT TO START A FLOWER BED AND HAVE NO EXPERIENCE WHAT ALL DO I NEED LIKE AS IN PRODUCTS TO START. PLEASE HELP IM TRYING TO START MY BACKYARD. THIS IS OUR FIRST HOME AND WE WANT TO MAKE IT LOOK NICE..

0

I would plant the tree now. The weather is cooler in the fall months which will help the roots establish themselves before the spring months when most growth occurs. Citrus trees need well draining soils and ample water, especially when the roots are establishing. Water deeply once each week.

Starting a new flower bed should be relatively easy. You can begin now by removing all vegetation from the area and spreading 4-5 inches of organic matter over the new bed. You can use compost, aged manure, shredded leaves or whatever organic matter is readily available in your local area. Dig or till this organic matter into the soil - 8-10 inches deep. Plant your flowers and mulch over the bare soil between the plants with additional organic matter. A 2-3 inch layer will help suppress weeds and slow water evaporation. At the end of the season dig the organic matter into the soil and add a fresh layer. Repeat this process annually and you'll end up with rich garden loam - and a spectacular garden. Enjoy your new landscape!

Today's site banner is by plantmanager and is called "Spinystar (Escobaria vivipara)"