Grass Not Growing - Knowledgebase Question

Amherst, Ma
Question by jgl60
I have a beautiful lawn except in one corner of my back lawn. My whole lawn is plush, green and looks great. I have an irrigation system, but can't seem to grow grass in my back corner of my property. Right now, it is covered with Pine Neddles. I have raked it, put grass seed down and feed it on a few different occassions, but no luck. I do have that zone being water a litte extra. Help!

If there are pine needles in the area they have probably lowered the soil's pH enough to make growing grass difficult. You didn't mention whether or not the area is in the shade. If so, you may never get grass to grow there. Some fescues are shade tolerant but this type of turf might not match the rest of your turf. Pine tree roots can compete with other plants for moisture and nutrients. Couple that with too much shade and acidic soils and you'll have a difficult time growing turf. If the area is not shady, you should be able to grow a decent lawn if you lime the area to neutralize the pH and then overseed. If it is shady, you might want to turn the area into a flower bed or grow a groundcover instead of turf. Hope this information helps!

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Dan Bachman 2006 seedlings"