skunks and squirrels ate my bulbs - Knowledgebase Question

Cleveland, Oh
Question by ramseysonnia
I planted 300 bulbs yesterday. Tulips coccus and another bulb. This morning I woke and found that something had dug up all most everthing I planted. I put down a blood meal that the homedepot garden person told me too and it didn't work. Help what can I do.

At my house the squirrels and skunks and chipmunks steal bulbs (with the exception of daffodils) as fast as I can plant them. In my experience, the best protection is to cover the planting area with wire mesh, such as chicken wire or hardware cloth, until the ground resettles, then remove it so the bulbs can grow unhampered next spring. Some gardeners report success using commercial animal repellents that are applied and reapplied according to the label instructions. Others report success using homemade pepper-based sprays squirted on the soil around the bulb planting area. Good luck with your bulbs!

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Rose"