Hibiscus - Knowledgebase Question

North Port, Fl
Question by seamonster3
Info on this site said to cover Hibiscus plants with plastic if temps go below 40. I was told not to use plastic as the cold would transfer to the leaves. Is this correct?

I think the info needs to be corrected! You are right - plastic can cause real problems with plants. I have hibiscus plants that I do not cover when temperatures drop down to freezing. Sometimes the leaves are damaged and sometimes they are not. It depends upon the duration of the freezing temps. A few hours and they will be unscathed; 6 or more hours and they will suffer leaf burn. I simply prune them back if they suffer frost damage and they develop healthy new leaves in about a week. I certainly would never cover them with plastic, but an old sheet or blanket might provide just enough protection to keep the leaves from becoming frost damaged.

Today's site banner is by wildflowers and is called "Japanese Spirea"