fungus problem - Knowledgebase Question

Claremont, Ca
Question by olivascesena
I think i may have a fungus contamination in my garden. windy, white appearance in the leaves. How can i remove contamination?

I don't think it's a fungus - if the leaves have little tunnels in them that you can see but not feel when you touch the leaf surfaces, there are leaf miner insects at work. An adult fly lays an egg just beneath the surface of the leaf. When the egg hatches the little larvae feeds on the tissues between the leaf surfaces making winding patterns. When it has finished feeding it makes an exit hole, spins a web to transport it to the soil surface where it pupates and then becomes an adult. It is difficult to control leaf miners because they are protected within the leaf and since the adults fly, it's hard to control them with sprays. Usually the damage is mostly aesthetic and the populations reach a peak and then die off for a few seasons. There's really not much you can do to prevent leaf miners.

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Iris Dazzling"