Growing Grass/Sodding - Knowledgebase Question

roswell, Ge
Question by michael_leib
I have bare ground on 3/5 of house - 3-5 hours sunlight. It's compacted soil but well sloped. Should I add an inch or two of top soil? Should I test soil before doing this? Would top soil help? I'm thinking Emerald Zoysia? The soil is regularly treated with fertilizer, bug and weed killer and limed.

Compacted soils will benefit from aeration. A core aerator will remove one inch by three inch plugs from the lawn. Leave the plugs on the lawn and they will dissolve in rain or water from the sprinklers. After aerating spread a thin layer of sand or compost over the area and water it in well. The sand or compost plus the soil from the plugs will work their way down into the holes left by the plugs. Once the plugs have disappeared you can install sod or zoysia plugs, or you can seed the lawn with bermuda.

Today's site banner is by dirtdorphins and is called "prickly pads"