yellow jacks in my attic - Knowledgebase Question

Uniondale, Ne
Question by pjames0
I reside in NY, all summer I have been plagued with yellow jacks. They have been coming into my bedroom but I cannot see where they're coming into the house. I am assuming they're living in the attic of my house. How do I get rid of them myself? Do I need to call an exterminator? How do I prevent them from coming back?

0

The longest surviving member of the colony is the queen, but she will die in the nest in the fall. All the adult reproductive wasps will leave the nest to mate. The remaining worker wasps will slowly die out as the weather turns cooler. The nest is never re-used by the wasps. So, once all wasp activity ceases the only task you are faced with is removing the nest so it does not attract other insects that feed on dead insects. The key is to locate the nest and plug up the entry holes. If you did not see any activity outdoors to give you a clue as to the location of the nest, you may need to climb up into, or at least look into the attic to see if you can find the nest. If not, you may need to call an exterminator. If you can't block the entry holes, new wasps can build new nests in your attic. Wish I had an easier solution!

Today's site banner is by Baja_Costero and is called "Aloe with six-legged friends"