winter care of potted mums - Knowledgebase Question

Austin, Te
Question by rubies50
I am very new at this. I just purchased large pots of garden mums. How do I care for them. I water them but what happens after the blooms die? How do I make sure they will last? I really have not gardening sense. Everything I buy dies. Help!

Garden mums are winter hardy in your region so you should be able to keep them healthy all winter long without too much trouble. When flowers are spent just cut the flowering stem off the plant. You may get more flowers between now and mid-December. When the weather gets too cold the entire tops of the plants will die and you can cut everything down to the rim of the container. Set the container in a protected place of the garden such as under the canopy of a tree or the branches of shrubs. They can stay outdoors all winter and will need the rainfall to keep the potting soil moist, but you'll want them to be protected from icy winds and snow. In the spring you'll see new sprouts emerge. At that time you can repot your plants, dividing them between the sprouts. Each division should have roots and a stem attached. Each division will grow into a large plant by this time next year if you periodically pinch the new growth to encourage multiple branching. Pinch the very tips of each stem every 4 weeks until about mid-August. Then stop pinching and your plants will develop flower buds. Remove all but the center flower bud of each cluster and you'll have fewer but larger flowers. Hope this provides enough guidance. Enjoy your mums!

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Rose"